Monday, February 19, 2007

iPOD success!!!

The past Apple iPods commercials are a great example of a successful marketing campaign. The ads consisted of black silhouettes of individuals wearing their Ipods and “rocking” out to the music against solid color backgrounds. The individuals encompass a wide range of demographics from male and female to the young and the old. This is part of Apple’s attempts to demonstrate that the iPod is not only the province of youth but that older individuals can also enjoy music using the iPod. When broken down, this ad line encompasses the FEEL, ACT, and RELATE SEM’s described by Bernd Schmitt.

The Apple ad clearly describes the joy of listening to music. This describes the FEEL SEM. The ad demonstrates the enjoyment behind listening to your favorite music and dancing, singing and generally having fun. The viewer gets to feel happy for life and can shed their burdens simply by listening to music with their iPods. Coupled with upbeat music playing in the background, viewers cannot help but feel excited and happy. This is the exact feeling that Apple wishes to elicit.

Additionally, the iPod commercial tells people how to act with their iPod. It demonstrates an activity that is usually reserved for parties but places that exuberance into the everyday. Viewers are encouraged to party with their music since they are placed in their own worlds when their headphones go on. The freedom aspect also is generated by this ad. You are free to act however you please when you listen to your music. Nothing is embarrassing or to be laughed at. It allows users to have freedom of expression when they use the product.

The most important aspect that the Apple ad’s creators wished to convey is, I believe, the RELATE aspect. Viewers need to relate to the users in the commercial in order to feel and then act as they please when they use their own iPods. There is a relation between how happy users of iPods are and it is demonstrated by how they act when they are using the product. By emphasizing the relating aspect, you, as the viewer, are drawn in will seek that same experience. This is the underlying driver of the ad, to get people to realize that the iPod unlocks these experiences and for them to get themselves their own iPod.

I think currently that Apple and their iPod is doing a great job in marketing the product. This is clearly shown by the success Apple has experienced; success that is driven mainly by strong sales of the iPod. While these ads are effective in what they do, I do not believe that they are the perfect ad. One problem is that in their simplicity, they do tend to get overplayed and the idea becomes stale. The format needs to be changed from time to time to ensure a fresh perspective. An additional change I would encourage is to emphasize the ease of use that the iPod has as a core value. However, despite this the ad is strong in eliciting emotions and feelings that are related to listening to good music.

In my evaluation of the iPod ad, I am probably a little biased since I am an iPod Nano owner. I differentiate myself though since I have used other mp3 players and have owned them but none to the satisfaction as my Nano. The ease and portability are driving factors behind this. Despite this bias, the ad quickly came to mind when asked to evaluate a product and the experience it elicits. It was actually the first ad that came to mind when I thought about various products and the experiences behind them. Apple truly does have a strong product. The only worry I have is that the form is quickly becoming outdated and Apple will be pressed to improve upon such a great product.

No comments: